A dental sealant is a thin plastic coating painted on the chewing surfaces of the premolars or molars in patients. The sealant rapidly bonds to the surface of the tooth, filling in the grooves to provide a protective barrier against decay. Brushing and flossing are excellent ways to remove food particles and plaque from the smooth surfaces of teeth. Sealants provide extra protection in the grooves and depressions of teeth where brushing and flossing might miss.
Application of Sealants
The application of dental sealants is a simple procedure in which a tooth-colored acrylic “coating” is painted onto the surface of the tooth. This effectively “seals” the deep grooves acting as a barrier, and protecting enamel from the acids that cause decay.
Benefits of Sealants
There are many benefits to sealant treatment. Most often sealants are used in children, but adults with decay can benefit from sealants as well. Typically, children should get sealants on their permanent molars and premolars as soon as these teeth erupt.
- Sealants protect the depressions and grooves of your teeth from food particles and plaque that brushing and flossing can’t reach.
- Easy to apply, dental sealants take only a few minutes to dry.
- Protection of teeth begins immediately after application.
- Sealants are durable under the force of normal chewing and can last several years before reapplication is needed.
- Sealants are more affordable and are a proactive way to help prevent cavities.
- Sealants are white or clear in color, making them virtually invisible when talking, smiling or eating.
- Children and adults can benefit from sealants in the fight against tooth decay
How Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics of Virginia Can Help
Sealants can protect teeth from decay for up to 10 years, but they need to be checked for chipping or wearing at regular dental check-ups. Your dentist can replace sealants as necessary. PDOVA has experience creating beautiful and healthy smiles. Please call us today at 804.739.0963 to schedule a consultation and let us care for your smile!